The importance of mother and baby photography is often overlooked by new parents. While it's certainly nice to have professional family photos taken, there's something special about a shot that features mother and baby together.
Finding a Photographer
Any good family portrait photographer can take mother and baby photos as part of a larger family session. However, since this is not a standard grouping, it's a good idea to mention your plan when scheduling your appointment. You want to make sure your photographer has enough time to get the shots he needs.
The best way to find a family portrait photographer is to ask for recommendations from people in your community. If you can't find anyone with this approach, you can use an online directory such as the Adobe Photographers Directory to find a photographer in your area.
Choosing Outfits for Photos of Mother and Child
When choosing clothing for a mother and baby photography shoot, keep it simple. Neutral colors such as navy blue, tan, or cream are ideal. Stick to solid colored clothing or clothing with a minimal pattern to make sure the focus remains on you and your baby instead of your wardrobe. Depending upon the look you're going for, you may even want to dress your baby in nothing but his diaper!
If you have a daughter, you may be interested in matching outfits for your photography session. Look for "Mommy and Me" dresses and shirts at baby specialty boutiques or order custom handmade outfits from Etsy sellers such as Planet Playground.
Ideas for Mother and Baby Photography Poses
There's nothing wrong with a picture of you holding your baby while you're both looking straight at the camera, but this shot doesn't really capture the full extent of the bond between a mother and her child. If you're looking for a more engaging portrait, consider one of the following posing ideas:
- Reading to your baby - A mother and child photo featuring you and your baby engrossed in a special book makes for a memorable keepsake. Try to choose a title that has a personal meaning, such as the book your mother read to you when you were a baby.
- Playing - A great idea for an informal portrait is to take a picture of you playing with your baby. Photos of mother and child playing peek-a-boo, blowing bubbles, or playing with a ball are all possibilities to consider.
- Sleeping - Mother and child lying side by side for a nap makes a soothing setting for a portrait. You can use a favorite teddy bear or a handmade blanket as props if you wish.
- Nursing - While breastfeeding photos are controversial in some circles, these pictures can be beautiful when tastefully done. If you're a nursing mother, this is certainly an option to consider for your photo session.
- Enjoying nature - Outdoor lighting is very flattering, which is why many professional family photos are taken outdoors. Consider a picture of you and your baby looking at the flowers in your garden or playing by a stream at your local park.
Enjoying Your Photos
Photos from a mother and baby photography session, like other professional baby photos, can be enjoyed in many different ways. Your photos can be framed for display in your home or added to a scrapbook album. Many photographers also offer the option of ordering personalized items like photo jewelry or keepsake boxes featuring your favorite picture. Whichever option you choose, your photos are likely to be cherished keepsakes for many years to come.